Common Causes of Fire
People often think about fire safety the most in regards to their chimney. Of course, this makes a lot of sense due to the fact that it is the closest most of us come with actual fire. However, there are many different ways to start a fire in your home, and you should be aware of them. Any children in your home need to be educated in these causes as well.
For starters, it is very important to keep an eye on dryers and washing machines. You have heard us talk often about the need for dryer vent cleaning, but you should also pay attention to your washing machine. Since they are usually electrically powered, they are prone to the same over-heating that any electrical appliance is prone to. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the leading cause of fire by home washers and dryers was a lack of cleaning and maintenance.
Something you will want to educate your children on is the use of candles. Candles accounted for an average of 15,260 fires per year in the years 2003-2007. Falling asleep was the cause of 12% of those house fires, and 55% were caused by combustible material getting too close to the candle. If you own a gas powered stove, it is very important to remember not to light a candle anywhere near the appliance. It should come as no surprise that December is the peak month for fires started by candles.
The NFPA has a long list of things to watch out for when performing everyday tasks in your home. Take the time to show the rest of your family this valuable resource. They will learn things that will help keep them safe now and in the years to come. During your family time, show them that you care by teaching them how to stay safe.