Solving Fireplace Odor Problems
Fireplaces are very beneficial, especially during the winter season. It can provide your home the warmth that is needed for every member of the household. During the winter, the warmth coming from the fireplace can also make your family have some quality time to bond, and to catch up with each other’s lives. However, having a fireplace at home requires effort from you, as well, in order for it to function properly. The maintenance of the fireplace is something that every homeowner should not neglect, or it will cause a number of inconveniences and danger. One of the most common fireplace problems that homeowners can encounter is an odor problem.
Having fireplace odor problems is not a problem for properly functioning fireplaces. If you are experiencing this, your fireplace must not be working well, and needs to be maintained. There are several causes of smelly fireplaces. One is having creosote and soot build up. Fortunately, there are chimney professionals that can clean and remove these materials from your fireplace. While you are at it, hire them to conduct inspections on your entire unit. They can go over your chimney, and check whether there are factors contributing to the bad smell your fireplace is producing. You might be surprised when you find out that there are fallen leaves and rotting animals stuck in your chimney. With the aid of proper chimney inspections and chimney sweeping, these materials can all be removed.
Another common cause of odor problems in your fireplace is water leaking into your chimney. The water mixes with other chemicals and materials in your chimney, and produces the bad smell. Having a chimney cap on your appliance can help with this. Moisture and humidity should not be in your chimney. Chimney caps can also help prevent animals from entering your chimney. Remember, another thing to remember is to always close your damper when you are finished using your fireplace.
It is important to remember that you can never completely avoid creosote buildup. It is a naturally occurring chemical reaction. The key is to have it removed regularly, so that the buildup doesn’t lead to a dangerous situation. This is precisely why we recommend yearly or twice yearly chimney inspections. These inspections not only keep you safe, but also give you the peace of mind that you are doing everything in your power to keep your family safe.