If you are thinking about installing a fireplace in your home, there are many factors to consider. One of the most important, and maybe even the single largest factor: gas logs or wood burning? As professional chimney sweeps, we are a little biased towards a traditional wood burning fireplace. While we may be fans of the classics, they aren’t for everyone – that’s why we’ve put together a handy guide to help you decide.
Wood Burning Fireplaces
• There is a certain undeniable ambiance that comes from a wood burning fireplace. Just imagine sitting down on your couch, closing your eyes, and listening to the crackle and pop of the wood as it burns. You can even burn different woods, like Pine, Applewood, and more, to release a variety of cozy scents.
• In Hampton Roads, wood serves as a cheap (or free) fuel source for your fire. Just make sure your firewood has been correctly seasoned if you are collecting it from the great outdoors.
• Wood burning fireplaces work anytime, no matter what else is happening. As long as you have dry firewood and a match to strike, you can stay warm even when your power goes out.
Gas Log Fireplace
• Many prefer gas log fireplaces simply for ease of use. Gas logs do not require knowledge of fire building, purchase or chopping of wood, or waiting for embers to die out. If you want a simple “on or off” experience with your fireplace, a gas log fireplace may be the right choice for you.
• If you’re looking for the cozy experience of a fire, but your home doesn’t have a chimney, a gas fireplace is a significantly cheaper option. All you need for a gas log fire to work safely is a gas line in, and an exhaust vent out.
• While fans of a classic experience may see lack of scent as a con, fans of a cleaner experience see this as a perk! Those who may have sensitive allergies, or simply don’t like the smell of a fire in their home can still enjoy the cozy atmosphere without the irritation.
In the end, choosing your style of fireplace is a highly personal decision. Many prefer the wood burning fireplace simply because of the experience that surrounds it, while others are compelled by the ease of use that comes with gas logs.
No matter which fireplace you choose, Black Goose Chimney is here to help. We offer a full suite of services including installation, inspection, and repair for both gas log and wood burning fireplaces. If you’re still unsure, give us a call at (757) 596-2298, and one of our certified experts can recommend the right choice for you and your home.